Introduction to Screen Acting
Is this course for me?
This two week practical and intensive acting for screen course has been created for actors at all stages of their development who have some theatre experience but are keen to learn about working on camera.
You should have a level of English that is approximately IELTS 6.0. Although English language tests aren't mandatory, we recommend that if you are a non-native English speaker without a Level 6 IELTS, then you must have the equivalent English language experience. This will be assessed via telephone interview by the Admissions team.
You can apply for this course through us directly. There is no application deadline for this course, but we advise you to apply early, as places are limited.
This course runs twice over the summer:
3-14 August and 17-28 August 2020
All about the course
This immersive and intensive practical course is based on the approach we take to screen training across our full-time courses: prep, shoot, review.
Taught at our west London campus with its dedicated screen studios, rehearsal rooms and edit suites, you will spend two weeks exploring the challenges of acting in the ever-evolving digital filmmaking industry.
This course is not validated by a higher education institution (HEI). It is one of LAMDA’s own range of non-accredited courses. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a LAMDA short course certificate.
What will I be doing?
In the first week, you will be:
- Examining screenplays from an actor’s perspective to gain insight into narrative structure and how this informs screen acting preparation
- Spending time in front of the camera to explore the unique qualities of screen acting, and how different directorial methods can inform your work
In the second week, you will be:
- Audition training - both conventional live auditions and self-taping
- Mock auditions with professional casting directors where you will receive personalised feedback on your work
- Shooting a scene in one shot
- Devising and shooting your own micro-short film on a smartphone
- Shooting a duologue with a professional director
- Watching your edited duologue alongside your self-made film as part of our film festival.
You’ll have the opportunity to watch your work in a supportive, reflective environment, enabling you to develop both your work and your understanding of the industry. The course is led by a group of industry professionals made up of actors, directors and screenwriters.
Please note that material recorded on this course cannot be made available for use outside of LAMDA.
We're here to help
At LAMDA, we’re a family. We’ll make sure you get all the support you need to feel at home. Read on for more information about accommodation, visas, healthcare, housing, insurance and student support.
Applications for our short courses will open in November. Sign up below and we will email you as soon as applications are open, with details about the course and how to apply.